Out and Up, Inc., a 501(c)3 non-profit corporation, was founded in August 2002. The organization is an outreach ministry of Greater Little Rock Baptist Church and was conceived by Pastor H. Larry Eason, who was newly appointed to the church at that time. Pastor Eason met with interested members in his small congregation and others who were not members but were interested in seeing certain indigenous problems of the immediate community being addressed and remedied. Several meetings were held and a mission statement was adopted in response to the broad range of community concerns which the group envisioned addressing.
The mission of Out and Up, Inc. is to provide services to the community that will enhance its physical, educational, emotional and spiritual development. The target population for services is those persons in the immediate two mile radius of our location at 2046 Felton Avenue, which includes three public housing projects.
About Our Community
The target population for services is those persons living in Census Tract 105.
Statistics About Our Community
- 61% of individuals live below the poverty level
- 49.9% of households in our community are headed by females with no husband present 2
- Our local school system (Bibb County) has a 41% drop-out rate
- More than 90% of the elementary students in our service area were economically disadvantaged
How Our Work Has Impacted the Community
- have provided no and low-cost after-school and summer camp care to children living in and outside of our target area
- have focused on improving the academic success of the students as well as providing them with social, recreational and cultural activities that they may not have experienced elsewhere
Children in our summer camp program have been culturally and socially enriched through special seminars, art, music, storytelling, computer education, field trips, recitals and recreation.